Rome’s Main Street Corridors are undergoing a face lift thanks to the Commercial Façade Improvement Program. The purpose of the program is to assist in the renovation and rehabilitation of storefronts and mixed-use buildings along the Main Street Corridors. The Main Street Corridors of Rome include West Dominick Street (Arsenal Street to Fort Stanwix), East Dominick Street (Nock Street to Fort Stanwix) and James Street (Bloomfield Street to Muck Road).
The program was developed by the Department of Community and Economic Development and the Rome Main Streets Alliance Design Committee. Multiple public funding sources provide building owners with up to $25,000 for a multitude of renovations to building exteriors. Renovations range from a fresh coat of paint to new windows, trim or siding. The grants cover up to 75 percent of the repairs, and the applicant contributes the remaining 25 percent. Signs, awnings, decorative trim details and exterior lighting are all elements which may be altered or added to improve the look of the façade. This program strives to incorporate as much renovation/rehabilitation as possible to provide the desired area benefit and effect to the surrounding community.
For business owners, eye-catching storefronts draw attention and customers. Yet the program ultimately aims to enhance the downtown area in general. Attractive streetscapes draw new businesses, investors and residents to the downtown area. Moreover, many of the improvements help pedestrians feel safer walking down streets, and the colorful, refurbished buildings make the streets a more pleasant place to stroll. Increased pedestrian traffic gives the neighborhood a vibrancy that is good for businesses and exudes a downtown atmosphere.
Outstanding building safety issues, property taxes and code violations must be addressed before an application to the program is accepted. Although there is currently a waiting list for the Commercial Façade Improvement Program, business owners and tenants within the target area are encouraged to apply! Please call 315-339-7643 for additional information.