Public Officers Law, Article 6, Sections 84-90 sets forth the Freedom of Information Law, which pertains to all records that are maintained by or for an agency.
The City maintains records relating to City government only—all other requests should be sent to the appropriate government agency (i.e. City Court).
Submitting a request:
If you wish to copy and/or inspect records maintained by the City, please click here to download our records request application, and complete as necessary. For your convenience, our request application provides you the option to either receive copies of the record(s) sought, or to review/inspect the record(s) at a scheduled time. Please choose appropriately.
To ensure that we process your request as efficiently as possible, be sure to provide the following information:
- Your name, address, email address and telephone number
- A reasonable description of the record(s) sought, containing specific dates and supporting information which will allow the City to identify and locate the record(s)
- Your preference to inspect/review record(s) or to copy the record(s)
In response to a request, the City will:
- Provide notice within five (5) business days indicating receipt of the request
- Approve or deny the request, detailing any reason(s) for denial
The City has up to twenty (20) business days to fulfill each request. If it is determined that more time is needed to fulfill your request, you will be notified accordingly.
Fees for processing records requests:
- 25¢ per page (8½“x11”, 8½“x14” and 11”x17”)
- $2.00 for every CD or cassette tape
- 49¢ per photo print 5”x7” or smaller (price may increase if larger)
- $4.00 per every large map (price may increase if size exceeds 11”x17”)
All fees are billed prior to the release of any records.