Listed below are the general rules for curbside solid waste set out for qualified properties in the inside district of Rome. Our current waste hauler is Bliss Environmental Services, Inc, who are contracted to collect trash and recycling based upon a contractual agreement with the City of Rome. :
Please contact the City at 315-339-7778 with general questions.
- Collection: Waste is collected between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, except in the occurrence of holiday or weather related changes.
- Holidays: If collection days are changed due to a holiday. Bliss Environmental Services, the City’s Contractor, will run an advertisement in the Rome Daily Sentinel for two consecutive days prior to the holiday. The advertisement will appear on page 2, 3 or 4.
- Garbage and Recycling: Residential properties are provided with two wheeled carts, one for landfill bound trash and one for recyclable materials. Trash cannot exceed the capacity of the provided trash cart. Recycling is required in Oneida County. If the amount of recyclable material you generate exceeds the capacity of your container, a “RecycleOne” decal can be obtained from the city’s Department of Public Works for placement on any trash receptacle with a lid for collection. Recyclable material must be clean and dry and CANNOT BE BAGGED. Items should be placed loose into the recycling cart. For a detailed list of what can be placed in your curbside recycling container, please visit http://www.ohswa.org/recycle/acceptable-material/ An informational brochure is also available from the DPW, and assistance in curbside recycling is available by contacting Rome Clean and Green at 315-796-ROME (7663)
- Bulk: one bulk item (i.e. couch, mattress, table, car tire without the rim, etc.) will be collected each week. The item must be of weight and size that two adults can carry. A mattress and box spring set are considered one item. No items containing “Freon” refrigerant may be placed at the curb.
- Construction and Demolition Debris: Residential properties can may place one container of construction and demolition debris out for collection per week. Containers cannot weight more than 50 pounds. Lumber or metal cannot exceed 4 feet in length. Any material generated by a contractor is not acceptable. This is intended to assist residents with the disposal of debris resulting from minor repairs. Debris from renovations must be removed via privately arranged collection.
- Collection Concerns: All concerns, comments or questions relative to refuse collection should be directed to the City of Rome at 315-339-7778.
- Green Waste: The City provides this service during the months of April – October. The start and end dates and specific rules are announced in the Rome Sentinel and on our city website in the spring and fall. Green waste is limited to 5 – 33 gallon containers OR 5 paper sacks, available for purchase at most local retailers. Large limbs or branches must be broken down to fit within containers. NO LOOSE GREEN WASTE is accepted, except during bulk leaf collection scheduled in the fall. Green waste should not include rocks, asphalt, concrete, plastic planting containers, or any other inorganic materials.
- Electronic Waste: The City will no longer collect or accept electronic waste due to the New York State Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act. Electronic waste includes lamps, televisions, and computers. Residents and businesses can bring e-waste to the Oneida Herkimer Solid Waste Authority Eco-Drop facility on Perimeter Road at no charge. Click HERE for more information.
Additional Information Links:
Rome City Yard Contact Information:
Rome, NY 13440
Phone: (315) 339-7778
Email: Jeffrey Gilbert City Yard
Superintendent of Streets
Email: Tom Jones City Yard